Adderall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall

I was on Adderall through most of my pregnancy but stopped several weeks before delivery. I have been breastfeeding for 10 months and plan to continue for as long as my baby would like to. I also would like to go back on my medication as I am having greater and greater difficulty functioning. I haven't been able to find very much information on the effects of this medication while breastfeeding other than one study on one mother. Is there more information available? My dosage would be 5mg 2-3 times per day.

Dear cantsitstill,

Adderall (dextroamphetamine) is a potent, long-acting amphetamine. The typical daily dose is 5 to 60 mg so you are on a low dose. We know that 1.8 to 6.9 percent of your dose enters breastmilk. Most medications that enter breastmilk less than 10 percent typically are compatible with breastfeeding. The time Adderall would be most concentrated in your breastmilk would be one to two hours after your dose so it is usually best to breastfeed first then take your dose then wait two to three hours to resume breastfeeding. Monitor your infant for agitation and poor weight gain. As long as the dose is kept low, Adderall appears to be compatible with breastfeeding. There is an alternative medication called methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) that has a lower amount that enters breastmilk. Only 0.2 to 0.4 percent of your dose would enter the milk compartment. The typical dose is 10 mg two to three times per day. The time the drug is most concentrated is one to three hours after the dose so avoid feeding during that time. Observe infant for insomnia and nervousness. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

I have been on ADHD medication for 14 years (adderall). I stopped taking it during the pregnancy and my baby is 10 weeks old. I have 30 mg tablets (not XR), my daughters ped. said it would be fine to take as long as she doesn't lose weight. I have taken 15mg in the morning and 15mg at lunch for one week (I break a tablet in half) So far, there has been an increase in bowel movements, and a change in eating habits. She used to have one 2oz enfamil bottle in the morning and one in the evening and breastfeed in between (in her case breastfeeding is an all day thing) - since the adderall is back she will not take a bottle at all but still wants to nurse all day. she also has broken sleep a lot more than before but she still sleeps thru the night more than most babies (I believe that is due to my Rx of clozopam that unfortunately is a necessity, as well as methadone which was taken throughout my pregnancy) Everytime I nurse my child I feel like I am creating an inevitable problem child (& adult) who will end up with drug problems. I don't know what to do and I obsess over this by googling all day looking for answers or similar cases (which im sure will be unlikely) but I am scared to tell too many people bc I know I will be judged for the meds I take. Please help me

Comment

J3084
        I have RSD and have had it for years for my condition I need to take fentenall , klonopin , oxycodone and adderall this was the finall mix of medication to get me stable
        I used to also take cymbalta , baclophen , imitrex , lyrica etc I was also told that I had no chance what so ever that I could get pregnant well I did and gave birth to a healthy baby the pregnancy was watched closely thruout the pregnancy I figured that I would not breast feed but wow I am my medical team said go with it it has been a month and all is good my child eats a lot sleeps fine and the pediatrician said I have a perfect healthy baby
        Under 5% of medications ( the ones that I take now) are being released to my baby and as she grows her size increase will make that less and less I was judged in the hospital until people finally read my charts and all I did and how proactive I was but some people will still judge I went thru hell treating my condition but was rewarded with a beautiful baby if you have any questions hit me back

Comment

Working...
        X