Vyvance and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vyvance and breastfeeding

I have a 2 week old baby and have been diagnosed with ADHD for about 2 years now. I was on vyvance before my pregnancy, but discontinued it during the pregnancy. I would like to continue with the medication but am worried about the breastfeeding and exposure to my baby.

Thank you

Vyvance

Dear Anniekinsd,
    Vyvanse is a potent and long acting amphetamine. Although it is not contraindicated while breastfeeding, caution is advised when using this drug especially in a young child. It can cause nervousness, anorexia, insomnia, and hyperexcitability. It is important to monitor the infant for poor weight gain and poor sleeping patterns. A more suitable alternative is Ritalin (Methylphenidate) since it has a shorter half-life and has been studied more. I hope this is helpful. For more information, call us at (806)352-2519.
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

EEWB:

Adderall is just a prolonged release formulation of dextroamphetamine. The studies show that about 1.8 to 6.9% of the maternal dose will get to the infant daily. If you use this product, you'll have to watch the infant closely for excitement, insomnia, and poor appetite. Just expect that some of this medication is going to be ingested by the infant.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

vyvanse/ adderal is not interchangeable with ritalin/focalin

Originally posted by mmilla View Post
        Dear Anniekinsd,
        Vyvanse is a potent and long acting amphetamine. Although it is not contraindicated while breastfeeding, caution is advised when using this drug especially in a young child. It can cause nervousness, anorexia, insomnia, and hyperexcitability. It is important to monitor the infant for poor weight gain and poor sleeping patterns. A more suitable alternative is Ritalin (Methylphenidate) since it has a shorter half-life and has been studied more. I hope this is helpful. For more information, call us at (806)352-2519.
        Maria Milla, MD
        InfantRisk Center

For all of you out there who do not understand what these drugs are let me help. Vyvanse and adderal work with different neuro-stimulatiors in the brain than Ritalin/focalin. It you are taking the one from the 1st set the other will not work for you. In fact both I and my son take vybanse/adderal. When my son took Ritalin it turned him into a crazy person so it is not as easy as switching from one type of drug to the other. So please stop suggesting that. You may actually cause the person you are giving advice to more harm.

Comment

Working...
        X