Adderall xr and phenergan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall xr and phenergan

I know it is generally unsafe to take phenergan and nurse a baby. My cousin has an almost one year old who gets a 50/50 mix of formula and breast milk. She takes (I believe) a 25mg adderrall xr in the mornings and is currently quite sick and has some phenergan she is thinking about taking. She has plenty of stored milk to feed her baby for a little while. Assuming it is safe for her to take both medications (hours apart), how long would she have to wait to nurse her baby safely?

Hi, thanks for your post.

The danger from Phenergan (promethazine) is that it increases the risk of sudden infant death syndrome. However, less than 2% of all SIDS cases occur in children older than 6 months. Extensive clinical use of promethazine in children >2 years old has shown no adverse effects on development attributable to the medication. Since your cousin's baby is both >6 months old and receiving diluted breastmilk, we do not expect to see any clinically relevant effect of the medication on the baby. It is not necessary to alter your dosing or feeding schedule because of the promethazine, but keep an eye out for changes in the child's mood or wakefulness just the same.

For anyone reading this, please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center, (806)352-2519, if this has not completely answered your question. I would also appreciate you filling out a 2 minute survey about your time on the forum:

https://tthsclubbock.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bJzhyKVSivVkQZL&Counselor=Web

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X