Vyvanse 40 mg during pregnancy and wanting to Breast feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vyvanse 40 mg during pregnancy and wanting to Breast feed

I am currently pregnant (5mo) and I take Vyvanse 40 mg daily for treatment of my ADHD. My OB is has said that it is okay for me to take this medication during pregnancy because my ADHD symptoms are not manageable without the use of medication. (adderall XR 30 mg or Vyvanse 40mg work best).
    I continued medication with my last pregnancy which was full term and no complications other than mild preterm labor symptoms managed through rest and adequate hydration. Son was born weighing 7 lbs 10 oz (normal bw) and is now 17 months with no developmental delays or other health issues. I did not breastfeed him because I was told that the medication could pass into breast milk. If medication passes through breast milk can it also through placenta?

I would very much like to breast feed this time and I am looking for more information on ADHD medications and breastfeeding. Since the medication had no adverse affects during pregnancy is it safe for me to breastfeed? Is the amount/ dose that baby receives during pregnancy comparable to the amount received in breast milk. Would lowering my medication dose be neccessary? Should I just try breast feeding and look for adverse reactions? Any information is helpful!

Hi, thanks for your post.

The most popular medications for ADHD (Vyvanse, Ritalin, Adderall, and Dexadrine) are all compatible with breastfeeding when taken as prescribed. Just watch your child for any new signs of significant insomnia, agitation, or poor weight gain. In the absence of these symptoms, you can consider the medication safe enough for your situation. There are no "hidden" dangers of ADHD medications that we know of. Most ADHD meds, especially the extended release formulations (ER, XR), are taken in the morning. If you feed/pump around the same time that you take your morning meds, then there will be very little medication in that feeding and your child's overall exposure will be reduced. If your child has problems due to medication in the breastmilk, you can reduce your dose of Vyvanse, dilute your milk with formula, or switch to Ritalin. Of the ADHD medications listed above, Ritalin transfers the least into milk and would permit you to be on a relatively high dose.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X