Adderoll and nursing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderoll and nursing

I know this topic has been discussed extensively on this site, but I just need to check for peace of mind. I am nursing a 7month old. I stopped taking my ADD medication while pregnant, but I'm about to start school back and I just can't go without anymore. I'm supposed to take 20mg 2x a day, I'm not going to do that though. I need to be able to nurse at night mostly. So if I take 20mg around 10 am will I be okay to nurse him around 6 at night? How many hours do you recommend waiting before nursing again after taking the medication?

Hi, thanks for your post.

We give Adderall an L3(out of 5)("Probably Safe") with regards to its lactation safety. If 20mg once or twice a day works for you, then you should be able to breastfeed at any time of day that you want to. The half-life of this medication is long enough that there is no real benefit to waiting a certain amount of time before you breastfeed. Just watch your child for signs of significant insomnia, agitation, or poor weight gain. In the absence of these symptoms, you can consider the medication safe for your situation. There are no "hidden" dangers of ADHD medications that we know of.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X