Vyvanse with Low Milk Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vyvanse with Low Milk Supply

Hello, I am a mom to a 2.5 month old baby and was advised that I can restart my 10 mg dose of Vyvanse without issue while breastfeeding since it’s a low dose. But knowing it’s extended release, wanted to get more information to help make an informed decision before taking anything.

I read in one of the existing forum topics that “Vyvanse transfers into breast milk at 1.8-6.2% of your dose. It is most concentrated in the milk at 3.5 hours after a dose, and half is out in 6.8 hours.” and that mothers should monitor babies for symptoms.

My milk supply is extremely low. Baby is taking 25-28 ounces of formula a day and based on weighted feeds I can only generate less than 1 ounce daily over multiple sessions - so I figure my milk is about 3%-5% of her daily volume.

So here’s my question - I don’t want to restart this medication if she will receive any of it. But with so little milk and a 10 mg dose, will I even transfer any medication to her if I wait long enough? For instance, if I wait 12 hours after taking the medication, would it be out of my system completely?

Thank you in advance!

Hello FTM2021!

You have obviously put a lot of effort and thought into the question. With any maternal medication, there will be some degree of transfer into milk. However, with your milk production being so low I expect the baby's absolute dose of the drug should be extremely low. I think it is entirely reasonable to continue breastfeeding as you were before.

We often consider how timing a dose against breastfeeding can reduce infant exposure. For your case, it wouldn't hurt but it doesn't make as much of a difference with extended-release drugs.

You can always call our nurses at our call center for further questions (806-352-2519).
    Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Working...
    X