Ritalin and older toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ritalin and older toddler

I'm newly diagnosed with ADHD and think I would benefit greatly from medication. I'm also breastfeeding a nearly-three-year-old who I highly doubt will be ready to wean any time soon. I know that methylphenidate is the safest choice of ADHD medication while breastfeeding, and that waiting at least four hours to nurse is safer than waiting less time. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to time methylphenidate doses and breastfeeding so that I can breastfeed with truly negligible, rather than simply low, levels being passed through my milk. How long after taking a dose would there be essentially nothing being passed along?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by SEL; 02-07-2021, 03:52 PM.

Hi SEL,

If you think you would benefit from the medicine, I do not foresee harm in taking it in your situation. VERY little methylphenidate transfers to breastmilk, less than 1% of a relative infant dose.

As for timing, it would depend on if you were getting an immediate or extended-release version--but I wouldn't worry about either for you. At 3 years, your toddler won't be getting a great deal of milk. Unfortunately, for any scheduled medication it isn't likely to reach the point of "nothing" before the next dose. But babies do better with healthy moms, so keep this in mind as well.

Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Working...
    X