Adderall Trial Period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall Trial Period

I have been exclusively breast feeding my 5 month old since he was born, however, recently my ADHD symptoms started to become unmanageable.

Choosing wether or not to seek treatment and take medication has been one of the hardest choices I’ve had to make and I’ve found that it’s been really hard to get support so I’m incredibly thankful that I found this site.

I choose to do a two day trial period to help me determine if I was ready to stop breast feeding so I can take the medication and I’m not.

The pharmacist I spoke with said I have to wait 5 days after stopping the medication before breast feeding. Is this accurate? From everything I’ve read the majority of it seems to be gone within 24 hours.

My dose was 30mg XR taken at 6:00 this morning. When is it safe to resume breastfeeding? I’ve been pumping and dumping every 3 hours. Does that make a difference?
    Last edited by Jstew; 05-08-2018, 07:52 PM.

Jstew:

Sorry, but you don't have to stop breastfeeding at all. We have lots of ADHD mothers who consume various medications and continue to breastfeed and their infants do just fine.

Fortunately, most of the amphetamine products don't enter milk at levels that are clinically relevant to an infant.

I'd suggest you just watch your infant for anxiety, insomnia, or loss of appetite. If you see these, you might want to reduce the dose.

Tom Hale Ph.d.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hello there, does it matter the age of infant? I have a 7 week old and want to continue breastfeeding, but was prescribed 10mg of IR adderall pre pregnancy. If I need to start it again, Do I need to pump and dump for 24 hours after I take it? Or is that dosage safe for breastfeeding.

The last thing I want to do is risk the health of my child.

Thank you so much.

Comment

Jackie

No, you don't need to pump and dump. Just observe your infant for insomnia or excitement. I really doubt you'll see any symptoms. Less . than 7% of your dose would ever get to the infant.

Tom Hale Ph,D.

Comment

Originally posted by Jstew View Post
          I have been exclusively breast feeding my 5 month old since he was born, however, recently my ADHD symptoms started to become unmanageable.

Choosing wether or not to seek treatment and take medication has been one of the hardest choices I’ve had to make and I’ve found that it’s been really hard to get support so I’m incredibly thankful that I found this site.

I choose to do a two day trial period to help me determine if I was ready to stop breast feeding so I can take the medication and I’m not.

The pharmacist I spoke with said I have to wait 5 days after stopping the medication before breast feeding. Is this accurate? From everything I’ve read the majority of it seems to be gone within 24 hours.

My dose was 30mg XR taken at 6:00 this morning. When is it safe to resume breastfeeding? I’ve been pumping and dumping every 3 hours. Does that make a difference?
          I think your adhd cannot affect your breastmilk so theres no way It can harm your child or even stop giving breastmilk to your baby. Try to visit this link [url]https://www.adhdcentre.co.uk/blog/[/url]. I just found it on the internet. I found it very helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X