Latuda and nursing... Or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latuda and nursing... Or not?

Are there any new studies about latuda and breastfeeding? Any studies in the works that might be complete by the time I have this baby in June? If not, do I wean off latuda in the third trimester and restart something else? I went off lithium, prozac, and lamictal to become pregnant, but was not stable. We chose latuda because I had responded to it in the past and it's a B, but I didn't think about the long term! Thank you for your response.

T1DMomma,

There are not any new studies on Latuda currently. Latuda (lurasidone) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Lurasidone is present in rat milk, but there are no studies in humans. Due to its high protein binding and low oral bioavailability, lurasidone is not likely to enter breastmilk in clinically relevant amounts. Hyperglycemia and hyperprolactinemia have been reported with lurasidone use. Until more data are available in humans, caution is recommended. Well studied alternatives include risperidone, olanzapine, and aripiprazole. I would suggest if this medication works well for you to continue on it and monitor your infant for side effects such as sedation or irritability, apnea, not waking to feed/poor feeding, extrapyramidal symptoms and weight gain. If your infant is not symptomatic, and is gaining weight and thriving it should be ok.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X