Carvedilol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvedilol

(Coreg) Have 2010 MMM book and awaiting 2012. No research data on this in human milk. Some alpha adrengics have many times more concentration of drug in milk than in mother's plasma due to lipid solubility of this type medication. Is there more information on Coreg and the safety of breastfeeding at this time? Thank you.

Dear dflohr,

Carvedilol is a L3. There are still no data available on the transfer of this drug into human milk. However, due to its high lipid solubility, some may transfer. The oral bioavailability is low at 25 to 35 percent. As with any beta-blocker, some caution is recommended until milk levels are reported. Infant should be observed for lethargy and poor feeding. Alternatives that we have data on are propranolol and metoprolol. Hope this information helps.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Hi, I have been diagnosed with chronic hypertension and my doctor has prescribed me Carvidelol. Is it safe to take it while breastfeeding? My daughter is 2 month old. Thank you,

Comment

Yalda,

Previous post :

"Carvedilol is a L3. There are still no data available on the transfer of this drug into human milk. However, due to its high lipid solubility, some may transfer. The oral bioavailability is low at 25 to 35 percent. As with any beta-blocker, some caution is recommended until milk levels are reported. Infant should be observed for lethargy and poor feeding. Alternatives that we have data on are propranolol and metoprolol. Hope this information helps."

Sincerely,
        Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
        TTUHSC InfantRisk Center[/QUOTE]

If your dose is low (6.25mg twice a day or less) it is probably ok to breastfeed. Take the medication after you nurse and wait at least 2 hours to nurse again to get past the peak time. Monitor for drowsiness, lethargy, weakness, pallor, poor feeding and weight gain. As long as your infant is not symptomatic you are probably ok. If your infant becomes symptomatic try half formula and half breast milk and see if that helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
        X