Pindolol effects through pumped milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pindolol effects through pumped milk

I don't find this med in the 2010 edition; 35 yo mom had STAT c/s delivery for NRFHT early this am. Was being induced for GHTN, on mag. 37+3 EGA Baby's apgars were 2/4/4, still in nicu. Mom has been on pindolol. Also on IV insulin for presumed T2DM; comorbidities include obesity, anemia, sickle cell trait (dad neg).

Should we feed (when able) expressed milk or pump and freeze for later/older/more stable baby, or pump and dump? the info I've found elsewhere is contradictory.

Thanks!
    Kay McKee, IBCLC
    Langley AFB, VA
    "the earth is NOT round!"

Dear Kay,

Pindolol is a nonselective beta blocker. Studies have shown the relative infant dose (RID) to be 0.35 % of mother's dose. The T max is 1 hour. Dr. Hale rates this medication as a L3. The typical dose is 10 to 60 mg per day. Dr. Hale states that the levels in milk are too low to have a clinical effect on the breastfeeding infant. Insulin is not absorbed through the GI system, so should not affect the breastfed infant. Magnesium sulfate transfers into breastmilk minimally. No adverse effects have been reported in breastfed infants. The above medications appear to be compatible with breastfeeding. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X