Metoprolol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metoprolol

I have a client who was on metoprolol for hypertension and struggled with milk overproduction. Baby was fussy, gassy and spit up alot. Many months of 4-6 cups of sage tea daily had no effect. Eventually baby grew out of the fussiness but continued to spit up every feeding. Baby is growing beautifully on his curve. She called me today, baby is now 6 months and mom was taken off the medication for about a month and the spitting and breast fullness disappeared. Now she is back on it and the spitting and breast fullness has returned. Can metoprolol raise milk production? I found an article from 1977 in AJOG that says it does not raise prolactin but what else could cause this sudden resumption of symptoms? Other than spitting, there are no other noted effects on baby. Will switching mom to propranolol produce the same effect?

Annie:

This is totally new to me. I've never heard of overproduction with a beta blocker. I occasionally hear of underproduction, but not overproduction. The fussy, gassy, spit up is a classic symptom of overfeeding, but not at 6 months.

I would not suggest switching to propranolol, as it has too many side effects and patients don't particularly care for it. As I don't know what her physician is treating, its impossible for me to make any suggestions. If its hypertension, then maybe a calcium channel blocker might be tried.

Interesting. I've never heard of this.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

metoprolol

Mother seemed to think that this was the only reason to explain the sudden breast fullness and increased milk for past few weeks that began shortly after restarting metoprolol. No recent growth spurt, illness, teething, increased pumping, or symptoms of plugged ducts. Baby is no longer gassy, just spitting up alot, which can certainly be from overproduction. Baby is a happy spitter.
      I only read the abstract of the AJOG article but it makes me wonder if there are others who have experienced this. Thanks for weighing in. I will suggest she continue on this medication as per her doctor and suggest she go back on sage tea if the symptoms bother her.
      Annie Brown, FNP, IBCLC

Comment

Working...
      X