BF and dyazide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF and dyazide

I have been suffering from postpartum high blood pressure. My doctor has put me on 300 mg Labetalol a day and dyazide. Is it safe to take one triamterene37.5/HCTZ 25 mg capsule every other day while breastfeeding? What about one capsule each day? Baby is 4 1/2 months old. Thank you!

[email]LauGior@msn.com[/email],

Labetalol is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. Only 0.2-0.6% of your dose transfers into breast milk. Monitor your infant for drowsiness, lethargy, pallor, poor feeding and weight gain.

HCTZ is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 1.68% of your dose. Monitor for dehydration, lethargy, weight gain; monitor maternal milk supply.

Triamterene is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. "No data are available on the transfer of triamterene into human milk, but it is known to transfer into animal milk. Because of the availability of other less dangerous diuretics, triamterene should be used as a last resort in breastfeeding mothers." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). If you need to use this medication we would recommend waiting at least 3-4 hours to nurse and to monitor your infant very closely for dehydration, lethargy, weight gain; monitor maternal milk supply.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thanks to sharing this thread. Very good

Comment

Working...
      X