Veramyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veramyst

I am currently breastfeeding a newborn (1+ week old). I was on the nasal spray Veramyst (fluticasone furoate) and the tablet Xyzal (levocetirizine) during pregnancy. Are they still safe to take? I have found little info online. Thank you for your help!

Dear sbanks02,

Veramyst has a very low oral bioavailability (less than 2 %) which means little would be available for the baby to absorb through your breastmilk. Also, the amount that is absorbed into your blood stream would be very low which would limit the amount that would get into your breastmilk. Because of the limited amount that baby would be exposed to via breastmilk, Dr Hale thinks intranasal use is probably safe. Xyzal is a non-sedating antihistamine similar to Zyrtec. There is no data on how much gets into breastmilk, but Dr. Hale thinks it would be similar to Zyrtec, and only 3 % of Zyrtec gets into breastmilk which is minimal. Zyrtec is one of the preferred antihistamines during breastfeeding because it is non-sedating. Although non-sedating, compared to the older antihistamines such as Benadryl, the infant should be still be observed for sedation and poor feeding. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519, Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CST.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X