Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilastine (Blexten)

Hello

What can you tell me about the safety of this medication during breastfeeding? Thanks

Carrie:

Bilastine is just another H1 antihistamine. It is not marketed in the USA that I know of. No data are available on its transfer to milk. I'd suggest any of the current non-sedating antihistamines in the USA, cetirizine, loratadine, or fexofenadine. We are just now publishing data on cetirizine in milk. Its transfer into milk is very low, and is a good choice.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you for your very quick reply. I am in Canada as is the client, which is where the medication was prescribed. The client has been prescribed Blexten for joint pain - doctor thinks it's related to a histamine response after an allergic reaction to penicillin. The doctor actually told the mother to stop breastfeeding or he wouldn’t prescribe the med. Baby is 2 months old. She committed to pumping for the week and dumping the milk – so he prescribed it. She just started taking it last night but is now pumping and dumping and giving formula. The whole reason she was on penicillin in the first place was because of suspected mastitis. It is very frustrating that in the midst of a global infectious disease pandemic women are being told not to breastfeed!

Comment

Working...
      X