Blood levels of meds in breastfed toddlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood levels of meds in breastfed toddlers

Is there any information or research to indicate a difference in the amount of medication found in the blood stream of younger infants compared to older infants? My son is 16 mths old and no longer drinks pumped milk during the day, but still nurses at night. I have been struggling with depression and decided I needed to try something different (for various reasons I have tried the common "safe" SSRIs with varying results). I decided to go ahead and try viibryd. Is there any relation to bf frequency and levels in the infant blood stream?
    Last edited by ajschiffli; 11-15-2012, 05:28 PM. Reason: Removed thx

Dear ajschiffli,

Between six months and two years of age, children achieve the ability to metabolize medications similar to adult levels. We do not have data on the amount of vilazodone (Viibryd) entering breastmilk, but we do know the drug enters animal milk. Since your child is older and the amount of breastmilk consumed is small, the risk of taking vilazodone would be considered minimal. Observe your child for vomiting, diarrhea and sedation. Depression itself may have adverse effects for your child so treating your condition is important.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X