Brintellix (vortioxetin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brintellix (vortioxetin)

Hi! I am a IBCLC and I am working with a bfing mom whose psychiatrist would like her to try this new med. I cannot seem to find anything in the forums related to it. Thanks in avance for your help!

Natinchile,

Brintellix (vortioxetin) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]This medication has similar effects as other well known antidepressant classes (e.g. SSRIs, SNRIs) but works differently at the receptor level. The manufacturer reports that vortioxetine is present in rodent milk and that it is unknown if this drug would appear in human milk. This medication has a small molecular weight and long half-life (66 hours); however, its large volume of distribution (37 L/kg) and high protein binding (98%) mean it will most likely enter milk at levels similar to other antidepressants. In the absence of specific data regarding this medication or its antidepressant class (SMSs) in breastfeeding mothers, we recommended to use medications with more extensive clinical experience and research in lactation (e.g. SSRIs, SNRIs). If mom decides to take this medication have her monitor her infant for s[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]edation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Last edited by Sandra; 10-26-2015, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X