X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    OCChick,

Cymbalta is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 0.1-1.1% of your dose. A normal adult dose is 40-60mg a day. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]New data suggest that the milk/plasma ratio is low, and the RID is low as well. This is too low to have clinical effects on an infant. Monitor the infant for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain. If your infant has been doing well on the 30mg they will probably do ok on the 60mg. We do not have any long term data on this medication at this time.

Tramadol is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into milk is 2.86% of your dose. It is most concentrated in your milk in the first 2 hours. New data seem to suggest that transfer into milk is low. The relative infant dose was 2.24% and 0.64% for rac-tramadol and its desmethyl metabolite, respectively. No significant neurobehavioral adverse effects were noted between controls and exposed infants. Based on these studies, it may be concluded that tramadol is compatible with breastfeeding. Monitor the infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate/apnea, pallor, constipation and not waking to feed/poor feeding.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Last edited by Sandra; 09-25-2015, 01:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OCChick
    started a topic Cymbalta and Tramadol- Fibromyalgia

Cymbalta and Tramadol- Fibromyalgia

Hi, My baby is 8 months old and I have been diagnosed with probable fibromyalgia, I have been on tramadol anywhere from 100 mg a day to 200 mg per day and I wait at least 2 hours prior to feeding her.
    The Dr also wants me to try taking Cymbalta 60 mg, I have been taking 30 mg a day for a few months and that is not doing it for me so they want me to go up to 60 mg 30 x twice a day however I am being recommended by my Dr to ween my baby before going up to 60 MG due to their opinion or lack of knowledge on the lack of research on cymbalta. Can you give me more info on these medications together?
    Is it worthy in your opinion to stop nursing because of them? I would love to be able to continue nursing for a few more months and not worry i am harming my child. Thank you so much for your time and research.
Working...
X