Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xanax

Hi,
    I had a baby two weeks ago and was breastfeeding however I got extreme anexity which lead to me not being able to sleep at night. The Dr. prescribed Xanax until Zoloft starts working. I know Zoloft is safe to breastfeed on, but I was told not to breastfeed while on Xanax. I only take it at night before I go to bed. I was wondering how long it last in my blood and if not the night feeding if it be possible to breastfeed during the day. Or if I should just continue to pump until I am off Xanax. Thanks

Dear lscoursey,

Zoloft is the preferred choice of SSRI's during breastfeeding because less than 2 % of your dose gets into the breastmilk. Xanax is a benzodiazepine in the same family of drugs as Valium. The amount of Xanax that enters breastmilk is 8.5 %. It takes 12 to 15 hours for half of your dose to be out of your system. The time Xanax is most concentrated in your breastmilk is 2 hours after you take your dose. This medication can cause sedation, and poor feeding especially in a young infant. Infants less than one month old or who are premature are at most risk for sedation and apnea. The preferred benzodiazepine during breastfeeding is Ativan because only 2.9 % of your dose gets into the breastmilk. Half of the dose is out of your system in 12 hours. The time that Ativan is most concentrated in your milk is 2 hours after you take your dose so avoid that feeding time to also decrease the amount the baby is exposed to. Ativan is also less addicting than Xanax. Because the amount of Ativan is small in the breastmilk, the risk of sedation is much less. You can talk with your physician to see if he/she feels Ativan would be a good choice for your condition. Because these medications cause drowsiness, be sure to have someone available to help with infant care if needed. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519, 8 to 5 CST, Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

There are much anti depression tablets which are very effective for the body but it is not better solution to put yourself in the medicen,be sure after all medicen has adverse for the life which is not better for the long term life so be avoid and use the traditional methods which are very simple for instance be happy always do't think over those things which are non relevant to the life and in this way patient feel better by all means.

Comment

Working...
      X