No announcement yet.

Adderoll for ADHD while breast feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2005. Concerta wasn't a good fit due to rebound and anxiety; Strattera caused depression and other issues. I did best with Dexedrine (I took IR first, 10mg, and then later was on the Spansule, still 10mg) but stopped taking medication in 2008 for a variety of reasons.

My life circumstances changed and I began working from home in 2009. I freelance and write fiction, and my husband is the primary earner in our household. In 2010 I was reassessed (we had moved so I needed my diagnosis confirmed) and started back on medication, this time Adderall XR at 25mg. I took it until June 2013, when I stopped due to side effects of nausea and increased hyperfocus. (Basically I felt gross most of the time and wasn't even getting anything done anymore so there wasn't a reason to put up with feeling gross.) My doctor and I discussed things and the next medication we agreed to try is Vyvanse.

In March of this year I gave birth. My son is nearly six months old and he is exclusively breastfed (we're going to start introducing solids soon).

The problem is that I am having problems getting stuff done that are similar to the reasons I went back on medication in 2010. The cycle goes like this: I struggle to get stuff done and gradually get more done each day until I have an amazingly productive day when I get tons of stuff done and feel great about myself. Then it takes at least two days for me to recover, and on these days I'm able to just do the minimum required to keep things going - I can feed our pets and I can make our meals, but laundry and washing dishes and tidying up is all totally beyond my capabilities. Then the struggle and gradual ramp up begins again.

This is not good for my mental health or the state of our home, and it is definitely not good for my son since it is difficult on these recovery days for me to even interact with him beyond looking after his basic care needs.

With that in mind, I'm planning to make an appointment to talk to my ADHD doctor about my options while I'm breastfeeding. I thought I would ask here for advice as well; I'll print out the information and take it to my doctor. I've done some reading and honestly I would prefer to go back on the 10mg x2 daily of Dexedrine IR, assuming that would be safe. I'm leery of trying a brand-new medication while breastfeeding, and I prefer the twice daily since then I can take it or not for the morning or the afternoon, depending on whether I need it or not. One of the problems I had with the Adderall XR was if I took it after 11.00 a.m. I would be up until 3.00 a.m.; that never happened with the short-acting Dexedrine.

Thanks.

Comment

Karalianne, thanks for posting,

Dexedrine and Adderall XR both fall under the generic drug of dextroamphetamine. It is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 1.8-6.9% of your dose. Of the 6 infants studied thus far, no untoward effects have been reported in any infant. If this product is used in breastfeeding mothers, the dose should be kept low, and infants should be monitored for agitation, hyperactivity, insomnia, decreased appetite, weight gain, tremor.

With the Adderall XR plasma levels are virtually identical to the twice daily dosing system. Thus if a patient is using XR 20 mg, plasma levels are identical to the 10 mg twice daily.We would suggest that if the immediate release works better for you to use it. As long as your infant is not symptomatic this drug is probably ok to use if you are able to keep the dose low.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
      InfantRisk Center

Comment

I was recently reassesed for add/adhd and was perscribed 10 MG generic Adderall XR (pharmacutical company activis). I have a 9 month old who is breastfed in evenings and throughout the night. 3 to 5 times from 7pm to 530 am. When he is at daycare he gets formula and solids 7am to 6 pm. He eats and drinks like a champ. I take my meds pretty early 530am or 6am. I dont get home to him until 630. Is it safe to breastfeed him? If i dont im engorged and hes my 3rd so my milk supply is amazing. I breastfed my oldest until he was 3 1/2 while i breastfed my second until 2.

Also what levels would be in milk to transfer to him.
        Thanks in advance.

Comment

Skmc86,

Adderall is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 2.46-7.25% of your dose. Of the 6 infants studied thus far, no untoward effects have been reported in any infant. If this product is used in breastfeeding mothers, the dose should be kept low, (20mg or less a day) and infants should be monitored for agitation, hyperactivity, insomnia, decreased appetite, weight gain, and tremor. If you are waiting 12 hours to feed your infant after a dose at least half of this medication would be out of your milk. You are on a low dose and your infant is older so I do not think you will see any of the side effects from this medication in your infant.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
          InfantRisk Center
          806-352-2519

Comment

I took adderall before I was pregnant as well. I talked to my obgyn, my dr, and the pediatrician and they all said no adderall while breastfeeding. There haven't been many studies done to say whether it is safe or not. I asked if there was a safe alternative I could take while breastfeeding and they didn't know of any.

Comment

Hi Dr. Hale,

I am breastfeeding my 19-month-old and recently started taking my pre-pregnancy Adderall dose of 40mg (short-acting). Obviously, at her age, she is getting a variety of foods and I would guess about half of her calories from breastmilk. I have noticed over the last couple of months that her appetite has decreased. Everything I've read about toddlers her age is that it is typical to develop picky eating habits and her behavior around mealtimes is consistent with information about toddlers/control/eating. Still, I'd hate for my medication to be the reason that she's not gaining weight (she's not losing weight, either). What do you think?

Thank you!

Comment

anonymom,

It would be hard to say if it is the medication or the child's age and normal change in eating habits that is causing her decreased appetite. The only way you would know for sure would be to stop the medication for a couple of weeks and see if her appetite increases, if it does increase the medication is probably the cause. We do like you to keep the dose around 20mg a day when possible, but your infant is older and less likely to affect them, but some infants are more sensitive to the medication than others. We do recommend taking it after breastfeeding and waiting about 3 hours to nurse again to avoid the peak time of the medication. No weight gain over a few months may not be too alarming, but if she goes a long spell without gaining weight that could be a problem. Please discuss this with your child's pediatrician.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
                InfantRisk Center
                806-352-2519

Comment

My son just turned 1 on the 31st I just stopped breastfeeding to take my adderall 2 days ago. I’ve been taking 30mg at 3pm. I have been giving him strictly juice since I’ve stopped but I just woke up at 4am and he had gotten to my boob and drink my milk. I’m scared and would like to know what I should do.

Comment

Oliviadown1,

I think it is ok since it was 13 hours between when you took the medication and he nursed. At least half the medication would be out of your system at this time. Monitor for agitation, hyperactivity, insomnia, decreased appetite, and tremor.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
                    InfantRisk Center
                    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
                    X