Bupropion & night breastfeeding 21 month old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bupropion & night breastfeeding 21 month old

I have been prescribed Bupropion HCL 75 mg - started last week once a day and now have gone to 2 times a day. I have tried to take it in the morning and then at night after my daughter has breastfeed to go to bed. She generally breastfeeds between 7:30pm to around 8pm (absolutely latest is around 9) so I took the medication around 9:30pm. Some nights she will nurse for a little bit around midnight or in the middle of the night around 2-3am and some nights she will not until close to 5-6am. She is not nursing during the day at all.. pretty much at night for comfort/to get to sleep. How much of the medication is she getting and what can I expect? so far for last week she had no problems.. I just started it 2 times a day and I am just wanting to space it so she is getting the least amount possible. I held off taking this as I was prescribed a higher dose when she was 6 weeks old and I was afraid to take it with her nursing ever 2-3 hrs then. But feel I needed it now and my doctor put me on a lower dose this time to start. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

samantha.knight1974, thanks for posting,

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is only minimally passed into breast milk at 0.2-2% of your dose. It is most concentrated in the first 2 hours after taking a dose and has a half life of 8-24 hours. There have been some reports of reduced milk supply with the use of bupropion, and the infant should be monitored for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain. With that being said, your infant is older and would receive only small amounts of the medication, I think if you wait 2 hours after a dose it would be ok to breastfeed at that time and I doubt you would see any side effects in the infant. Remember the risk of untreated depression is greater than the risk of taking the medication. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

thank you so much for your response. Makes me feel a little more at ease about taking it.. My little ones safety is my #1 concern. My Anxiety I have dealt with for a while on my own and would continue to if there is a danger to her.. but this makes me feel that it will be minimal that she will get as I take one dose while at work and the other after she nurses to sleep at night.

Comment

Working...
      X