Wellbutrin - losing breastmilk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin - losing breastmilk

I started on 75mg of Wellbutrin a week and a half ago. I have been breastfeeding for 1 year with no period. Now my milk supply has dropped and I suddenly got my period. My baby sucks and sucks without swallowing and breastfeeds for one hour instead of 10 minutes. I have already tried Zoloft and Paxil and stopped due to other side effects. Is there anything I can take to counteract losing my milk on Wellbutrin? Otherwise I will just stop breastfeeding since I need to be on antidepressants now.

I have also noticed my baby is much more awake and has trouble falling asleep at night and is missing naps. He is usually a good sleeper and the wellbutrin seems to be keeping him awake. Is it better to stop breastfeeding so he does not have this side effect affecting his sleep?

Hi, thanks for your post.

Diminished milk supply while on Wellbutrin (bupropion SR) has not been addressed in the medical literature, but we have had several women recount an experience similar to yours. Metoclopramide and domperidone are used to enhance milk supply. There is no specific antidote to bupropion available.

The amount of bupropion that gets into the milk is <1% of your daily dose. In the published studies of infants exposed to the medication, both bupropion and its metabolites were undetectable in the babies' blood. Bupropion is expected to cause sedation in babies. It is highly unlikely that your baby's change in sleep habits is due to drug exposure. It sounds like there have been a lot of changes in his routine recently.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X