Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin XL 450 mg

Hello,

I have seen several other posts about wellbutrin XL and that there is not much data or information about doses higher than 300 mg. However, I am wondering what safety concerns or risks there may be if a woman increased her dose from 300 to 450 mg XL during third trimester of pregnancy and how this may impact breastfeeding? I am also wondering with the XL formulation since this a slow release throughout a longer period of time if this would be considered preferable for breastfeeding versus the regular or sustained release formulations in regards to the amount transmitted to the infant during breastfeeding? Thank you.

Hi Sara,

Medication use during pregnancy will almost always pose a greater risk than while breastfeeding. An increase in maternal dose inevitably will increase infant exposure to the drug. However, the benefit of treatment versus the risk of exposure will be highly individualized based on the maternal need for the drug, and we do commonly see maternal doses up to 450mg per day (pregnancy and lactation). I suggest this be a thorough conversation between your prescriber and yourself.

As to the difference in regular vs sustained-release, once you reach steady-state drug concentrations (a few days for this drug), I don't think it will make much difference.

Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD, MBA

Comment

Thank you for the response and information Kaytlin

Comment

Working...
      X