Lexapro (Escitoprolam) during Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexapro (Escitoprolam) during Pregnancy

Hi, I’m new to this forum and would like to find out more on effects of Lexapro on the baby when used throughout a pregnancy. I was diagnosed with PPA/Insomnia after my first child (5years ago) in my opinion was very severe for me.
    so I have been on Lexapro to close to 4.5 years now. I am planning to have a second one and would just want it know what kind of risk I am taking if I continue my Lexapro shall I get pregnant. Are there any cases of birth defects, increased risk of autism and etc that I could potentially be exposing my baby to?

Melissa:

Most Obstetricians prefer Zoloft in their pregnant patients, largely because millions of new moms have used it in the past with good outcomes. I'd talk with your OB BEFORE you get pregnant.

As for Lexapro, we have very little data. I imagine its probably OK to use as their is no data I can find that suggests its hazardous. Below is from their package insert about pregnancy.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

There is a pregnancy exposure registry that monitors pregnancy outcomes in women exposed to antidepressants during pregnancy. Healthcare providers are encouraged to register patients by calling the National Pregnancy Registry for Antidepressants at 1-844-405-6185 or visiting online at [url]https://womensmentalhealth.org/clinical-and-research-programs/pregnancyregistry/antidepressants/[/url]

Risk Summary

Available data from published epidemiologic studies and postmarketing reports have not established an increased risk of major birth defects or miscarriage. There are risks of persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn (PPHN) (see Data) and poor neonatal adaptation (see Clinical Considerations) with exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), including escitalopram oxalate, during pregnancy. There are risks associated with untreated depression in pregnancy (see Clinical Considerations).

In animal reproduction studies, both escitalopram and racemic citalopram have been shown to have adverse effects on embryo/fetal and postnatal development, including fetal structural abnormalities, when administered at doses greater than human therapeutic doses (see Data).

Comment

Working...
    X