Celexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celexa

Hello! My daughter is 11 months old. I took Prozac until 4 months ago. I stopped because after trying multiple things it was determined the Prozac was the reason I was having worsening anxiety and panic attacks. It has finally left my system completely but I am not doing well mentally and emotionally. I would like to talk to my doctor about other options, and was wondering about Celexa and nursing at this age. She nurses 5-7 times a day for roughly 10 minutes each time, one breast per feeding. She is 16 lb 12 oz. For me, Zoloft caused suicidal thoughts. Paxil caused brain zaps and caused me to hear things that weren't there. Prozac worked really well until postpartum. Any info is welcome. Thank you.

C2M2EA:

I'd suggest Lexapro (ESCITALOPRAM) but with your history, who knows if it will work. Seems to be a ideal second choice when others don't work.

Talk with you doctor. Levels in milk are low, and at 11 months, there is virtually no side effects in an infant.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Dr. Hale,

My wife is currently on 40 mg of celexa and exclusively breastfeeding our 7 week old.

I’ve read celexa is not your first choice, would you recommend she try and switch her medication for the safety of our newborn? Celexa works for her but she’s worried about the effects.

She took 10mg of Celexa starting at 22weeks of pregnancy and raised it to 20mg at 36 weeks then 40mg one week postpartum.

Thank you!

Comment

Sjames:

No, I would not recommend she convert to another. After 6 weeks, I don't think the infant will have any problem at all. I would not suggest she switch to another, as long as Celexa works.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X