X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    Momof2MD,

Desipramine is an L2-limited data-probably compatible. Only 0.3-0.9% transfers into breast milk. We think this medication is ok to use as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Your infant is older and not consuming as much breast milk as a newborn would, plus your infant is able to metabolize these medications better than a newborn could. Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, dry mouth, not waking to feed/poor feeding, constipation, urinary retention, weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Leave a comment:

• Momof2MD
    started a topic Desipramine and Weaning Toddler

Desipramine and Weaning Toddler

Good afternoon,

TL: DR Desipramine safer at 50mg vs Zoloft at 200mg while weaning toddler

I've held off on returning to the medication I've taken previously before pregnancy, which is Desipramine. In the meantime, the doctors were fine with me taking 200mg of Zoloft, which helps very minimally. I've been told I needed to completely wean my 40 month old before beginning Desipramine again (already have the prescription).

I don't understand why because both Zoloft and Desipramine are both L2 medications. I was prescribed 50mg to begin with and would like to at least begin with that and increase the dosage as my toddler nurse less. From what I understand, less than 1% of the medication would get into her system. Is this the same for Zoloft?

As of now, she nurses for naps and at night.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Working...
X