Wellbutrin SR 150mg per day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin SR 150mg per day

A little backstory- I have been on and off medication for depression and anxiety for years. Wellbutrin was a favorite for me in the past because it caused the least amount of side effects for me, so this is what I would like to go back on.

I am currently nursing my 6 month old, and i’ve held off this long on meds but I really feel as though I need the meds back.
    I am being eaten up by guilt even thinking about taking meds while breastfeeding.
    I see that Wellbutrin transfers a small amount into the milk.
    My question is, if I start taking it, is there a preferred time of day I should take it? When does the medication peak in my system?

Alena: Bupropion peaks in your plasma at about 2 hours and has a rather long half life up to 24 hours. We've had several case reports in infant and this is no longer a really preferred choice. I would ask you physician about using Zoloft or Lexapro as they tend to be safer for a breastfeeding infant.

That said, at 6 months postpartum, I doubt the risk of bupropion is very high.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

May I ask, you said several case reports in infants, but what were the symptoms?

Comment

Alenamarie:

There are now 2 case reports of infants whom have had seizures while being exposed to bupropion in milk.[3,4] In the first case report the infant had a seizure at 6 months of age, this seizure occurred after the mother had taken two doses of 150 mg SR about 36 hours apart (she had been on the drug pre-pregnancy/then stopped during pregnancy).[3] At the time of the seizure the infant was not known to be febrile but did have a respiratory tract infection; therefore, a febrile seizure could not be ruled out. The seizure did not recur (although the mother switched to sertraline for a few days then stopped all drug therapy and continued breastfeeding).

From my book, Medications and Mothers Milk.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X