Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escitalopram or stop breastfeeding?

Dear Professor Hale.

Thank you for your response to my Levofloxacin query below. I have another query regarding my antidepressant medication.

I am still breastfeeding my 15 month old infant. I suffer with anxiety and depression, more so now then ever before as my mom has just passed away unexpectedly and suddenly.

I have always taken Eglonyl ( Sulpiride) 50 mg once daily throughout my pregnancy and breastfeeding for anxiety but it doesn't really help. I was told by the paediatrician that it's the only safe antidepressant to take. Recently I was prescribed Escitalopram. I only take 5 mg daily and not the 10 mg prescribed to me because I don't want to expose my baby to unnecessary medication. For this reason I am still depressed and anxious.

Everybody keeps telling me that I should stop breastfeeding her as I need to take antidepressants now and she is old enough to stop breastfeeding. However it's not so easy to stop as she is allergic to dairy and she derives so much comfort from me breastfeeding her.

Are there health advantages to breastfeeding an older infant? Is it better for me to stop breastfeeding and take the medication or to continue feeding and take it?

Is it safer to take Escitalopram or Eglonyl ( Sulpiride)? Is it safe for me to go up to 10 mg Escitalopram daily and still breastfeed? Or better for me to just give up the breastfeeding altogether?

Thanks so much

Nikita
Working...
X