Zoloft and Ativan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoloft and Ativan

I was prescribed 25mg of Zoloft and .5mg of Lorazepam. I take the Zoloft in the morning and I take the Lorazepam twice a day once around 8am right after my 3 week old daughter breastfeeds and then another one around 4pm again right after she breastfeeds. I have not noticed any sedation in my daughter and she is still waking up for feedings but I am still am having strong anxiety attacks. I will be meeting with my doctor again next week and have talked about increasing my Zoloft dose as well as my Lorazepam to 1mg. Would that still be safe for my daughter with breastfeeding, if I continue to take it right after she feeds?

jrmosley,

Your Zoloft dose is very low at 25mg. A normal dose is 50-200mg a day. If your Dr increases your Zoloft maybe it will help with your anxiety, but if you need to increase your Ativan as well it will probably be ok as long as your infant is not symptomatic, and you do not increase above 2mg a day total, especially for a young infant as this medication is sedating, monitor for sedation, slowed breathing rate, apnea, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

I was taking .5mg of Xanax before baby for my anxiety attacks. Would it be better to take .25mg of Xanax twice a day until my Zoloft kicks in or the 1mg of Ativan twice a day?

Comment

jrmosley,

Ativan is the preferred benzodiazepine because less of it transfers into breast milk (2.6-2.8%) and it is not as addicting as the Xanax which transfers 8.5%. With the doses you mentioned the amount that would transfer to your infant would be very close to the same amount.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
        X