Breastfeeding on Lamictal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding on Lamictal

I am currently pregnant and taking 200 mg of Lamitcal in the evening for Bipolar Disorder. I have been on this med for a few years and throughout my pregnancy. I keep getting different answers from people about whether it is safe to breastfeed on Lamictal. My pdeiatrician came back and stated that he does not feel it is safe for me to breastfeed while on Lamictal after researching his sources. Is there anyway that it could be safe, or do the risks outweigh the benefits?

Thank you for your time,
    Stacy
    Last edited by nerdlover; 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM.

Nerdlover:

Lamictal has been well studied in pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. The transfer into milk is moderate, about 9.2% - 18.3% of the mothers dose transfers. This will in some instances produce low levels (about 30% of mom's) in the infants plasma. Thus far, only one case of poor breathing has been reported, even though this drug is commonly used in breastfeeding mothers.

Remember, the infant gets far more during pregnancy, than it does from breastfeeding so I'd suggest you discuss this with your pediatrician and try breastfeeding. I think you will find it turns out well.

Tom Hale pH.D.

Comment

Thank You Dr. Hale for your response! I will discuss it further with my pediatrician.

Comment

Havilynn:

Please call our hotline and discuss this with one of us. I think we can help you.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

806-352-2519

Comment

I have been trying to reach someone thru the hotline for two days calling at various times. Is there another number to call or a way to email someone?

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Dear Mom0329,

We only have one number (806-352-2519). We are open Monday- Friday, from 8-5pm.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
            InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
            X