Plavix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plavix

What are the risks of taking Plavix to a nursing baby? I have to be on Plavix for 3 months and don't want to quit nursing. I am getting conflicting information and would like help and more information so I can make the best decision for me and my 4 month old baby.

Hopieclyde:

Plavix is a drug that inhibits platelet function, thus it reduces the initiating factor in clotting. It works somewhat like Aspirin.
    We do not at this time have any data on its transfer to breastfeeding infants.
    The only complication would be an increase in "clotting time", thus the infant could have a bleeding problem.

I personally don't think this will happen, but we have no data on it yet.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Plavix

Is there any new information or studies on Plavix with breastfeeding? I am working with a mom of a 2 month old who will need to take it after a cardiac event. Thanks

Comment

Ajdevine:

No data thus far on Plavix. I believe it is probably safe, but I can't confirm this yet. We are starting a study on this drug soon. IF this lady starts using this drug, please have her call my InfantRisk Center so we can put her in the study.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

I am taking Clopidogrel 75mg once a day due to a stroke. Have you completed your study yet? I really want to carry on breastfeeding but do not want to put my baby in harms way. Any support you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Lizzee:

No, we are still recruiting patients for the Clopidogrel (Plavix) study and I'd love to have your help in this study.

Please contact Joann at 806-354-5572 joann.urben@ttuhsc.edu and she will arrange to collect your milk samples.

Thank you so much.

Tom Hale Phd.

Comment

Hello,
              I am 3 months postpartum and just had a blood clot to my eye due to hole in my heart (that I didn't know I had). I am being placed on aspirin 325 mg po q day for the rest of my life and plavix daily for 6 months post cardiac catherization. Is it safe to still breastfeed? I am also a pediatric nurse practitioner, this can be helpful information for my patients as well. Thank you!

Comment

Dear Hgrossklaus,

Clopidogrel (Plavix) selectively inhibits platelet adenosine diphosphate-induced platelet aggregation, , thus it reduces the initiating factor in clotting. We do not at this time have any data on its transfer to breastfeeding infants. The only complication would be an increase in "clotting time", thus the infant could have a bleeding problem. Dr. Hale thinks this is unlikely to happen, but we have no data on it yet. We are currently enrolling breastfeeding mums for a Plavix study, contact the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519, if you would like to participate.

Aspirin on the other hand is certainly implicated in Reye syndrome, but most often in older children (not infants) who have a viral illness such as flu or chickenpox. Even when present at small plasma levels in these children, it was implicated in Reye syndrome. However, the amount in breastmilk is incredibly low even following large therapeutic doses. Never use these products if the infant has a viral syndrome. Lastly, aspirin is rapidly metabolized in the human to salicylic acid, thus aspirin is almost completely gone in 2 hours after the dose. A brief wait of 2-3 hours after administration would virtually eliminate all aspirin transfer to milk.

When using both Plavix or Aspirin monitoring the baby's platelet function would be a good idea.

Hope this helps!!, Contact us at the InfantRisk Center for further questions.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
                InfantRisk Center

Comment

Breast feeding mother of twins

I have 11 day old twin girls and was placed on Plavix over the weekend due to an MI. I had been breast feeding the babies and understand that Plavix is a L3 drug. Is it safe to continue to breast feed while taking the medication and does Dr. Hale advise women in the Plavix study to stop breast feeding while the study in in progress? Do the benefits of breastfeeding outweigh the risks? When do you expect this study to be complete? Thank you in advance.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your post.

We don't have enough data from the Plavix study to form any meaningful conclusions. There is also no published literature on Plavix levels in breastmilk. We still believe that the benefits of breastfeeding outweigh the risks of this medication, especially in babies younger than 6 months. Watch the baby for easy bruising and keep your pediatrician informed of your situation.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question or if you would like to participate in our study.*Study participation usually involves mailing us frozen milk samples. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD and Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.

Comment

Is there any new data on Plavix? Or did anyone that posted here continue to use it while BFing? Would like to hear about your experience.

Comment

NMT:

Sorry, we have no data on it. Below is all I can say right now. Would you be interested in sending us milk samples to assay, and then help the next mom that calls us? If so, contact us at [url]www.infantrisk.com[/url].

Tom Hale Ph.D.

It is not known if clopidogrel transfers into human milk.[1] Although the plasma half-life is rather brief (6-8 hours), its metabolite (thiol derivative) covalently bonds to platelet receptors with a half-life of 11 days. Because it produces an irreversible inhibition of platelet aggregation, any present in milk could inhibit an infant's platelet function for a prolonged period. However, the thiol derivative of clopidogrel has but a 0.5-0.7 hour half-life. Thus patients could return to breastfeeding within 24 hours after stopping the use of clopidogrel.

Comment

Working...
                        X