Foscan ( Temoporfin ) and Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foscan ( Temoporfin ) and Breastfeeding

I am a Lactation Consultant in Private Practice in Brisbane Australia. I would like Dr. Hale to be able to give me advise, over and above what is available on the internet, on the use of Foscan for a Mother I have consulting me who is fully breastfeeding a 6 month old baby.
    This Mother has already had surgery here in Brisbane and now has to fly to the United Kingdom later this month for further surgery and treatment with Foscan for a lesion that was originally removed from her tongue.
    I am aware Foscan is a photosensatizing, antineoplastic and immunomodulating agent used in photodynamic therapy.
    Is it correct that this Mother will be unable to breastfeed for a month, as is stated in the information on the internet site I have accessed ?

Janette:

We have absolutely no data on the use of this photosensitizing agent in breastfeeding mothers, so I cannot tell you if it is safe for an infant. It has a rather large molecular weight, 680, thus milk levels will be somewhat low. However, some will probably enter milk and the infant will, just as mom, retain some of this for 3 weeks or more. I do not think it would be overly toxic to the infant, but the mom would certainly have to keep the infant out of all sunlight for at least 3 weeks.

I would also suggest that she refrain from breastfeeding for at least 4 days after administration of this drug to allow it to enter the deeper skin compartments, thus reducing maternal plasma levels, and possibly milk levels as well.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Many thanks Tom for your promp reply. It is very much appreciated.
      Regards Janette

Comment

Working...
      X