Neupogen/Filgrastim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neupogen/Filgrastim

I will be donating stem cells to my mom about 2 months after my baby is born. The doctor said I will need to do injections of a G-CSF, specifically Neupogen (filgrastim) for a week before I am ready to donate. Their recommendation is to pump and dump during this time. Is that necessary or can I continue to breastfeed?

Brielise:

We have only limited data. Apparently some filgrastim does enter milk, but it is apparently NOT absorbed orally in infants. Interestingly, I did find one article where it was actually administered orally to preterm infants at risk of NEC. It apparently reduced the risk of severe Necrotizing enterocolitis.

So I would not be unnecessarily concerned about its short term use during breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Enteral granulocyte colony-stimulating factor for the treatment of mild (stage I) necrotizing enterocolitis: a placebo-controlled pilot study.

Canpolat FE (

1 Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Neonatology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey. [email]femrecan@hotmail.com[/email] Abstract

BACKGROUND/PURPOSE:

The presence of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) in human milk and the expression of G-CSF receptors on intestinal villous enterocytes of neonates suggest that G-CSF has a role in the development and integrity of the gastrointestinal tract. We hypothesized that enteral recombinant human G-CSF (rhG-CSF) given to preterm infants with necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in the earlier stages could protect against disease progression and complications. METHODS:

Preterm infants with mild (stage I) NEC (n = 18) were assigned to receive enteral rhG-CSF (n = 8) or placebo (n = 10) for 5 days from the first day of the diagnosis. Clinical and gastrointestinal parameters were followed during the whole period of hospitalization. RESULTS:

In the study group, none of the infants with stage I NEC had a clinical progression to stage II or III, whereas in the control group, 5 (50%) infants with stage I NEC had a disease progression to stage II or III (P < .05). In the study group, the time required for the resolution of clinical and radiological findings of NEC and the total duration of systemic therapy and hospitalization were significantly shorter than the control group (P < .001). CONCLUSION:

Enteral rhG-CSF treatment could prevent the progression of mild (stage I) NEC to further stages and decrease the time required for the resolution of clinical and radiological signs of the disease. PMID: 16769348

Canpolat FE, Yurdakök M, Korkmaz A, Yiğit S, Tekinalp G. Enteral granulocyte colony-stimulating factor for the treatment of mild (stage I) necrotizing enterocolitis: a placebo-controlled pilot study. J Pediatr Surg. 2006 Jun;41(6):1134-8. PubMed PMID: 16769348.

Comment

Working...
    X