Cephalexin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cephalexin

Is an antibiotic called Cephalexin safe to take while breastfeeding a three month old baby? I am supposed to take this for an outpatient surgical procedure. They are 500 mg capsules and I am supposed to take one capsule twice a day for one week.

Sf2015, thanks for posting,

Cephalexin is rated an L1-limited data-compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 0.5-1.5% of your dose. It has a short half-life of about 1 1/2 hours so if you take it right after you breastfeed by the time you feed again half of the medicine is out. Monitor the infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hi there, when I had my daughter I also took that antibiotic during and after pregnancy. So far nothing bad happened to my child. I took this with the supervision of my doctor. Let me also share here with you a site I have been using to track my ovulation period and I hope it could also help you, good luck. [url]http://www.ovulation-predictor.org/ovulation/[/url]

Comment

Working...
      X