Doxycycline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline

My doctor has prescribed 40mg of doxycycline, once a day, for 3 weeks. Is this dose and duration compatible with breastfeeding? Baby is almost 10 months.

How often does the baby feed and for how long? Is your child getting solid foods or other supplements?

Comment

He nurses 6 times per day (every 2-3 hours), and gets 3 solid meals.

Comment

He nurses for around 7-10 minutes per feed.

Comment

The data we have on this drug indicates that only about 4-10% of the mother's dose gets to the baby. However, that calculation is assuming that we're talking about an exclusively breastfeeding neonate. Older children like yours get considerably less milk relative to their body weights than neonates, so the real number is probably much lower in your case. Since so little of the drug will be passed to the baby, I don't expect the doxycycline to have any effect at all in your child. Infants are at risk of diarrhea and staining of their teeth from doxycycline, but they are getting a much larger dose than your child.

For anyone reading this, please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center, (806)352-2519, if this has not completely answered your question. I would also appreciate you filling out a 2 minute survey about your time on the forum:

https://tthsclubbock.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bJzhyKVSivVkQZL&Counselor=Web

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Good evening I have a 1yrs and 11month old baby he mostly likes the breast when he wants to sleep in the nights I just start taking doxcycline and metroidazole 500mg for a week . Can I still breastfeed my baby in the nights.

Comment

What is your dose of doxycycline?

Comment

Hey chiredhead
                Last edited by empi; 02-02-2016, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Please contact the Infant Risk Center for a definitive answer about whether or not you absolutely need to avoid nursing while on doxy ([url]https://onlinepharmacyreviews.org/ingredients/doxycycline[/url]). Many women are given over-conservative advice concerning the use of antibiotics during breastfeeding.
                  Last edited by empi; 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X