Amoxicillin and metronidazole at the same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amoxicillin and metronidazole at the same time

I have read that it is safe to take amoxicillin and metronidazole while breastfeeding but I haven't seen anything that says whether you can take both at the same time while breastfeeding. I am currently exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old and have been prescribed both antibiotics at 500mg capsules to be taken 3 times daily for 7 days. I would like to know if it is okay to do so.

There should be no problem with taking them at the same time. There's nothing about these drugs that makes them more dangerous when taken together.

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

I was given amoxicillin and metronidazole and I am 18 weeks pregnant . Is it safe for me to take them together ?

Comment

ChristneMo514,

These medications are relatively safe when used in pregnancy especially if they are used short term. They are both rated P2's-benefits likely to exceed the risk. The combination should not be a problem for the fetus in the second trimester, but may increase your risk of GI upset or thrush. Always check with your OB/GYN before starting any medication.

"Pregnancy: Amoxicillin has been used during pregnancy for many years and does not appear to increase the incidence of congenital malformations. Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic used to treat respiratory tract and urinary tract infections, H pylori, and skin infections.[1] Amoxicillin is not recommended for the treatment of gonorrhea.[2] Amoxicillin has been used prophylactically after premature rupture of membranes.[3] Amoxicillin has been used during pregnancy for many years and does not appear to increase the incidence of congenital malformations.[4-8] As with any medication during pregnancy, amoxicillin should only be used when absolutely necessary."
        (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

1.##Kastrup E. Drug Facts and Comparisons 2010: Wolters Kluwer Health; 2010.
        2.##Cavenee MR, Farris JR, Spalding TR, Barnes DL, Castaneda YS, Wendel GD, Jr. Treatment of gonorrhea in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. Jan 1993;81(1):33-38.
        3.##Muller AE, DeJongh J, Oostvogel PM, et al. Amoxicillin pharmacokinetics in pregnant women with preterm premature rupture of the membranes. Am J Obstet Gynecol. Jan 2008;198(1):108 e101-106.4.Lee M, Bozzo, P., Einarson, A., and Koren, G. Urinary tract infections in pregnancy. June 2008 ed; 2008.
        5.##Jepsen P, Skriver MV, Floyd A, Lipworth L, Schonheyder HC, Sorensen HT. A population-based study of maternal use of amoxicillin and pregnancy outcome in Denmark. Br J Clin Pharmacol. Feb 2003;55(2):216-221.
        6.##Silverman NS, Sullivan M, Hochman M, Womack M, Jungkind DL. A randomized, prospective trial comparing amoxicillin and erythromycin for the treatment of Chlamydia trachomatis in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. Mar 1994;170(3):829-832.
        7.##Masterton RG, Evans DC, Strike PW. Single-dose amoxycillin in the treatment of bacteriuria in pregnancy and the puerperium--a controlled clinical trial. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. May 1985;92(5):498-505.
        8.##Briggs G, Freeman, R., and Yaffe, S. Drugs in Pregancy and Lactation. Vol Seventh Ed. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins; 2005.

"Pregnancy: Metronidazole does not increase the risk of congenital malformations in the newborn if taken in proper recommended dosages. [1,2,3] Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is commonly used in the treatment of anaerobic bacteria or protozoa. It can be prescribed orally or as a topical preparation. A prospective controlled cohort study looking at the pregnancy outcomes of women who took metronidazole during gestation concluded that metronidazole , if taken in proper recommended dosages, does not increase the risk of congenital malformations in the newborn." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

1.##Diav-Citrin O, Shechtman S, Gotteiner T, Arnon J, Ornoy A. Pregnancy outcome after gestational exposure to metronidazole: a prospective controlled cohort study. Teratology. May 2001;63(5):186-192.
        2.##Burtin P, Taddio A, Ariburnu O, Einarson TR, Koren G. Safety of metronidazole in pregnancy: a meta-analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. Feb 1995;172(2 Pt 1):525-529.
        3.##Kazy Z, Puho E, Czeizel AE. Teratogenic potential of vaginal metronidazole treatment during pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. Dec 1 2005;123(2):174-178.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X