Ciprofloxacin and metronidazole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ciprofloxacin and metronidazole

Hi, I recently gave birth to a baby girl and four days postpartum found out I have a uterine infection. They prescribed me ciprofloxacin as well as metronidazole hcl, 500 mg both twice daily. I have been told mixed answers on whether breastfeeding is okay. Is it okay to take both these meds and breastfeed. 4 day old newborn?
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for your post.

Metronidazole is addressed at the link below. It is quite safe to use while breastfeeding.
    http://mommymeds.com/frequently-asked-questions/metronidazole

The studies describing cipro use in breastfeeding mothers are a little difficult to interpret; that is probably why you are getting mixed messages on this issue. Some researchers have found that the baby gets enough drug that it's similar to what she would be prescribed directly for her own infections. Other studies show the drug to be completely undetectable in the baby's blood. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Cipro is not popular among pediatricians because it carries a small risk of several different complications. These include arthropathy, pseudomembranous colitis, and a possible association with discolored teeth. Despite all this, the benefits of breastfeeding your child probably outweigh the risks posed by the medications. You can cut down on her cipro exposure by waiting about 5 hours after your dose before feeding or by diluting your milk with formula. Keep an eye on her bowel habits and report any substantial changes to your pediatrician.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X