Breastfeeding and Ganciclovir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and Ganciclovir

I’ve been prescribed ganciclovir oral tablets (3 weeks - 2 tablets, twice a day) to treat CMV in my bowel. I’m due to start tomorrow.

I’m breastfeeding my 15 month old. My son is healthy, was full term and eats solids well. I’m looking for advice on whether it is safe to continue breastfeeding during the time I’m taking ganciclovir. I understand there is limited information currently on this. I want to continue to breastfeed until my son self weans, especially if the benefits outweigh risks when taking this medication. But of course if it is categorically unsafe then I will have to stop breastfeeding cold turkey tomorrow which will be incredibly hard for myself and son.

thank you.

Kamy:

At present we do not have any breastfeeding data on ganciclovir. From its structure, and kinetics I do not think it will enter milk at high levels. It is somewhat similar to Acyclovir, which is quite safe in breastfeeding mothers/infants. Just in case however, observe for GI symptoms such as nausea and vomiting or skin rash. These are really unlikely.

That said, would you be interested in collecting milk samples for my laboratories, so that we could accurately measure the levels of ganciclovir in milk and potentially help the NEXT mom that calls us.

If so, go to this website and register your name, and my staff will contact you about how to collect milk samples. Its really simple, just collect samples at set hours after the dose, freeze in your freezer, and send them back to us frozen(at our expense).

[url]https://www.infantrisk.com/help-infantrisk-research[/url]

Regards

Tom Hale PhD.

Comment

Working...
    X