Bactrim and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bactrim and breastfeeding

My son was treated for jaundice at 3 days old in the hospital, with phototherapy. He had his bilirubin levels tested twice right after and they were dropping so there has been no other concern even though his skin and eyes are still a little yellow. I was just prescribed bactrim for an infection on my c section incision. I exclusively breastfeed. Am I okay to continue breastfeeding on bactrim even though he had jaundice and is still a little yellow? I exclusively breastfeed and would hate to stop but don't want my child having negative effects to it.

Angel:

This is difficult to answer as we have too many questions that need answering. But basically, IF the infant is no longer hyperbilirubinemic, then the risk is quite low. However, my OB colleague suggests the use of Keflex instead of Bactrim just in case the infant was premature, and still has elevated bilirubin.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

He is 5 weeks old, and he was born at 37 weeks. His billi levels were barely elevated enough go need phototherapy in the hospital after he was born. His pediatrician was not concerned to do further testing after we were discharged because his skin and eyes were barely yellow anymore and still are.

Comment

OK. sounds OK to use Septra. 5 weeks old is past the danger period.

Tom Hale

Comment

Working...
        X