Ofloxacin and metronidazole for pelvic inflammatory disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ofloxacin and metronidazole for pelvic inflammatory disease

My doctor suspect I’ve got a pelvic inflammatory disease. The swabs come back ok but she wants me to take 400g Ofloxacin and 400g metronidazole twice a day. I’m breastfeeding my 13 months old son at least twice a day and don’t know what to do. Are those antibiotics safe ? My doctor says yes but when I’ve asked a second opinion the other doctor says no. Or should I limit his feeds to only two a day? Please help as I’m petrified and postponing my treatment atm As don’t know what to do.

Blackpepper,

If your doses are 400mg instead of 400g it is probably safe to nurse on these two antibiotics for short term use of 14 days or less as long as your infant is not symptomatic. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 3.1% of ofloxacin, and 12.6-13.5% of the metronidazole. Take the medication after nursing so you have a longer break before nursing again. The half-life of ofloxacin is 3 hours and the half-life of metronidazole is 8.5 hours, so if you do only nurse twice a day you limit your infants exposure to these medications. Monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X