Both mum and daughter on antibiotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both mum and daughter on antibiotics

Hello, both my daughter and I are on antibiotic due to strep and tonsillitis. She started on Tuesday and I started just tonight, my course if for 3 days and hers is for a week. Now I am on Augmentin 500 and she is on Omnicef ( she hates Augmentic and always refuses it as its taste is horrible). She is 2 years and 7 months and only nurses to sleep at night and sometimes in the morning. Could there be an interaction considering some of the augmentin could be passed to her? I have not nursed her since I took it so would like to know if I should wait it out or go ahead and carry on. Thanks Ina advance for sharing your knowledge. Laura

Dear Laura,

Minimal amounts of Augmentin enter human milk. The time the medication would be at highest concentration in your milk would be one and one-half hours after your dose so try to avoid breastfeeding during that time. I looked in Micromedix for drug to drug interactions, and there were none reported there, but you may also talk with your local pharmacist. The main side effect with antibiotics is diarrhea. Since you have an older child who breastfeeds once daily, the risk that your medication would increase her risk of diarrhea would be low. If she has diarrhea, it would likely be due to her taking Omnicef.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Tank you very much for your reply which puts my mind at ease, Laura

Comment

Working...
      X