Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LitoZin--rosehip remedy for rheumatoid arthritis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LitoZin--rosehip remedy for rheumatoid arthritis?

Neither LitoZin nor rosehip is listed in the 2012 edition of Medications and Mothers' Milk. The most recent study I can find regarding its use for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21420288

What can you tell me about the safety of its use in breastfeeding mothers in general? What can you tell me about the safety of its use in a breastsfeeding mother whose baby is 3+ months of age?

Thank you so much!

IBCLCUSA

Dear IBCLCUSA,

Rose hips are harvested from the fruit of a rose. Rose hips, according to Natural Standard database, has grade B (good scientific evidence) to support its use in osteoarthritis. Rose hips also contain a high level of vitamin C, and breastfeeding women should avoid using in higher amounts that are commonly found in foods. Dr. Hale suggests to stay within the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of Vitamin C during breastfeeding. Dr. Hale rates herbal supplements as L4's. He states that there are literally thousands of herbal products and teas used today. Many are safe and some are unsafe for breastfeeding mothers. Consult an authority in herbal products before ingesting these drugs while pregnant or breastfeeding. Because of the lack of breastfeeding data, we would not recommend using this supplement while breastfeeding. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X