enbrel and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enbrel and breastfeeding

Hi. I am currently taking enbrel 50mgs sub cut weekly through my pregnancy. I am 33 weeks now. I suffer from a rare autoimmune disorder. I want to consider breastfeeding my baby and i am looking for information on this. I am from Ireland and information here is very limited and i need some advice/support. I am very grateful any info.

Kind Regards

Missy

Enbrel and Breastfeeding

Dear Missy,
    Etanercept (Enbrel) is a large molecular IgG protein and this makes it difficult for it to transfer into milk. Small amounts may still be found in milk, however, it is unlikely for this drug to survive in the infant's GI tract and therefore be absorbed into the baby's circulation. We currently don't have good data on its transfer into milk, however, it is somewhat similar to infliximab which is not apparently secreted into milk. Hope this helps.
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hi Maria,
      Many thanks on your swift response. As you can imagine i am anxious trying to get as much information before i can make a decision on breast/bottle. I am only 1 of 3 people in Ireland diagnosed and 1st to deliver baby in this region so my consultants are too looking for information on T.R.A.P.S /auto immune disorder and enbrel in pregnancy. I wondered if you have any information on same or sites that i could research. i would be very grateful on any information. On a recent antenatal they had researched the Otis Study...I believe thay will try sample the placenta for examination of Enbrel/transfer...
      Kindest Regards
      Missy

Comment

Working...
      X