Arthrotec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthrotec

Hi - I have chronic hip / leg and back pain. My pain clinic has prescribed Arthrotec and Cymbalta. I have a 13 month old daughter who is almost weaned. She breastfeeds only first thing in the a.m. and right before her bedtime. Should I wait until she is fully weaned to start these medications or would it be safe to start one or both.
    Thank YOU!

Lisa

Arthrotec

Dear Lisa,
    It is probably safe for you to take both these medications while breastfeeding your 13 month old. My only recommendation is for you to take Arthrotec immediately after breastfeeding and then wait four hours to feed again. This will probably not be a problem since you are only breastfeeding twice a day. Observe for diarrhea. The amount of cymbalta that would transfer to the infant through breastmilk is far too low to affect the infant. Further, the amount of milk you are making at this point is probably minimal and this would make it even safer to breastfeed. Hope this helps.
    Maria Milla, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Thank you!

I just wanted to thank you for the quick reply and also tell you what a lifesaver this website has been while I have been breastfeeding. Thank you so much for the work that you do and the information that you provide to breastfeeding mothers!
      Sincerely
      Lisa

Comment

Hi - I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and my doctor wants me to go on Cymbalta. My OB said it's not a good idea, the rhuematology doctor said it is not a problem. I am nursing an 11 month old. She is nursing just at night and on the weekends, and I pump about 12 oz durring the day at work for her to use the next day. Does this scenario still seem ok for Cymbalta use?

Comment

Dear Nieccole,
          Although studies are limited, in a study of 6 women taking 40 mg twice a day for 3.5 days the transfer of cymbalta into milk was minimal. The amount of Cymbalta that transferred to the babies via milk was estimated to be 0.1% of the maternal dose. This is a very small amount. Since Cymbalta is an anti-depressant it can cause sedation and this is something to watch for in your baby. I don't think these small amounts are likely to bother your baby since she is 11 months old. I hope this helps.
          Maria Milla, MD
          InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
          X