Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breast-Feeding and Simponi

Hi all

I am 37 weeks pregnant and I have Ankolysing Spiondylitis.
    I cleared Simponi with my consultant before becoming pregnant but now I've a conundrum.

I haven't taken Simponi since week 26 and I was only told last week (week 36) by my consultant that if I wanted to breast-feed that I shouldn't take Simponi after week 32.

I'm feeling good at the moment but still have a bit to go. My consultant has recommended that I take my Simponi injection, but I really want to try and breast-feed, particularly for those vital first few days.

Is there any research/information on the impact of Simponi on breast-feeding?

Thanks

Graireland:

Golimumab is a human monoclonal antibody that binds to both the soluble and transmembrane bioactive forms of human TNFα. We do not have breastfeeding data with this drug, but due to its enormous size, it is very unlikely to enter milk in high concentrations. The most likely period of transfer is the last trimester. If you could reduce your dose the last trimester it might help, but don't make yourself miserable over a possible complication.

We have lots of experience with these anti TNF monoclonal antibodies during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It almost always turns out well.

Another suggestion would be to look at Cimzia. It does not transfer through the placenta to the fetus, or only minimally in breastmilk.

Tom Hale Ph.D

Comment

Working...
    X