Back pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back pain

My dr has prescribed flexeril for my back pain. Is this safe or are there other muscle relaxers that are preferred during breastfeeding? I EBF 4 month old infant. I also take Prozac 40 mg and Ativan 1 mg 2xs a dAy. Thank you.

Dschex,

Prozac is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 1.6-14.6% of your dose. We think the risk of depression is greater than the risk of this medication. Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Ativan is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.6-2.9% of your dose. We think if you keep the dose low and baby not symptomatic probably ok. Monitor your infant for Sedation, slowed breathing rate, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Flexeril is rated an L3-no data probably compatible. We do not know how much transfers into breast milk, but we think it is probably ok going to be minimal because of the molecular structure. We think it is probably ok to breastfeed as long as the dose is kept low and your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for drowsiness/sedation, dry mouth, poor feeding, vomiting.

Dr Hale is trying to collect milk samples from breastfeeding moms who are taking Flexeril. If you would be interested in participating in a case study we would love to send you a collection sheet with the times we would need you to pump and save your milk and then send you a collection box with a prepaid return label. The study will take some time so may not be able to provide information to help you for this baby, but could help you and other moms in the future. If you are interested please contact the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you. Would skelaxin or baclofen be a better choice for muscle relaxant during breastfeeding 4 month old as opposed to flexeril? Are there any L2 rated muscle relaxants for low back pain?

Comment

Dschex,

Skelaxin is rated an L3-no data-probably ok. We do not know how much passes into breast milk. Monitor your infant for sedation, vomiting, gastrointestinal upset.

Baclofen is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 6.9% of your dose. Monitor your infant for drowsiness, dry mouth, tremor, rigidity, wide pupils. This one may prohibit lactation.

Sandra Lovato R.N.

Comment

Hi Dschex,

I wish you could go through your pregnancy without taking medications. But if you must, perhaps you can take the ones that have a lesser percentage of volume that passes into breast milk.

Comment

Working...
          X