Lidocaine Flush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lidocaine Flush?

Had 2 shots of lidocaine in right breast during needle aspiration of abscess in breast today. Dr also told me to pump and dump for 24 hours (this breast only) because he told me he "flushed" the area with lidocaine.
    I have seen previous post re pumping and dumping until lidocaine wears off (or 4 hours), but would "flushing the breast abscess" with lidocaine require a different period of time?
    Thank you.

SBC77, thanks for posting,

I think you may have misread the post, it reads to wait until all feeling is back in the breast and then another 4 hours past that to breastfeed not just wait 4 hours.
    We would suggest waiting until all feeling is back in your breast and then add another 8 hours after that to breastfeed on the side you received the lidocaine injection in. At this point all lidocaine should be out of your system as it has a half-life of 1.8 hours, and it takes 6 half-lives to be completely out, (in this case 10.8 hours), and feeling probably will not return to your breast for at least 3-5 hours. Pump and dump from the affected breast during this time, but you can still nurse on unaffected breast. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X