Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10mg hydrocodone dose every six hours

Hi,
    I have Medullary sponge kidney. It wasn’t too bad when I was pregnant but since giving birth I have been regularly passing stones. Currently I have a huge one with a blockage that is causing intense, unmanageable pain and vomiting. At the ER 12 hours ago I was given Fentynal with IV. Since then I’ve been prescribed 10mg hydrocodone every six hours, which still barely touches the pain.

I have a 3 month old 13 pound exclusively breastfed baby. I have read the other posts that I should wait 3-4 hours before nursing after taking a dose, but most of those posts were only once per day dosing, so I am worried about the cumulative buildup of the hydrocodone in my system. I am trying to push the dosing to every 8 hours. Would it be safe to breastfeed right before I take my dose, every 6 to 8 hours after my last dose?

Thank you.

Wdax:

I'd suggest that you taper up or down your dose according to what you need. The infant will become tolerant over time. But I would NOT change your dose precipitously, as it could cause 1. Withdrawal in the case of dose reduction, or 2. Apnea or sedation if your precipitously increase you dose.

Infants become tolerant of opiates just like adults. It just means you have to stabilize at one dose and don't change it too much. But waiting 3-4 hours would reduce your infants exposure.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X