Breastfeeding after lidocaine with epinephrine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding after lidocaine with epinephrine

I have a 3 months old breastfed baby whom has never drank from a bottle. I have to have dental work done this Friday which requires the use of local anaesthetic , a dental block,(lidocaine with epinephrine). In the past (before pregnancy) I have required a larger dose of local anaesthetic to complete the full dental block due to lots of nerves branching off in different directions according to the dentist.
    My dentist is adamit I must get the procedure done but I'm nervous because my baby may not take a bottle.
    The dentist said the dental block will last 4 hours how long after my procedure do I have to wait before breastfeeding and worse case scenario and my baby keeps refusing a bottle what are the risks of breastfeeding before it has left my system fully ? Your help is greatly appreciated I'm a first time mother and don't want my baby to starve or be harmed.
    Thankyou

SEA09,

We would advise that you can breastfeed after your dental procedure because these meds stay mostly local. The only time we would tell you different is if it was administered directly into your breast, or if your baby was a newborn and or premature.

Lidocaine is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 0.5-3.1% of your dose. The amount used in dental and most surgical procedures is quite small and unlikely to affect an infant. The half-life is 1.8 hours so in 4 hours over 75% is out and in 10.8 hours it is completely out.

Epinephrine is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. Although likely to be secreted in milk, it is rapidly destroyed in the gastrointestinal tract. It is unlikely that any would be absorbed by the infant unless in the early neonatal period or premature. This medication would be out of your system in an hour.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X