Breastfeeding and Alpha Blocker Medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and Alpha Blocker Medication

I have a tumor on my adrenal gland and have to take both alpha and beta blockers prior to surgery to keep my blood pressure from spiking. I am already on beta blockers that I have been told are safe for breastfeeding but there is less information on the alpha blockers. I would be prescribed Phenoxybenzamine or doxazosin most likely. Is it possible that either of these is safe to take while breastfeeding? My son is only 3 months so I would like to continue to nurse him.

Beta Blockers are OK as long as you avoid Acebutolol and atenolol. Metoprolol is ideal for breastfeeding.

Here is data on Doxazosin. Probably safe. Doxazosin mesylate is an alpha-1 adrenergic receptor blocker indicated for use in hypertension. In a case report of a single patient (58 kg) who received 4 mg daily for 2 days, the average and maximum milk concentrations were 2.9 and 4.2 µg/L.[1] The authors suggest this provides a relative infant dose of 0.06% and 0.09%, respectively. Our relative infant dose calculations based on these milk concentrations were slightly higher, 0.58%-0.87%.

Phenoxybenzamine is problematic as we have absolutely NO data on this drug in breastfeeding, AND it has a 24 hour half life, so it could be a problem for some days after last usage.

I'd suggest you pump and discard for a few days AFTER the use of these two alpha antagonists, just to be sure.

Good luck
    '
    Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X